The Point

The Point

The Point

MLB Playoffs Have Returned

As October is almost over, MLB fans have been entertained by three weeks of the MLB playoffs. For a lot of PVHS students, it is one of the main highlights of their year. 

“It means a lot to me because I grew up watching it, and when it comes around it’s usually the highlight of my year,” junior Donovan Capozzola said. 

In the Wildcard Series, all series ended up being sweeps with the Texas Rangers, Minnesota Twins, Philadelphia Phillies and Arizona Diamondbacks advancing to the Divisional Series. 

Unfortunately, for the hometown Los Angeles Dodgers, they ran into the Arizona Diamondbacks, who were getting hot just at the right time. 

The series ended in a sweep in which the Dodgers averaged two runs a game. 

The Diamondbacks on the other hand averaged six runs a game, as their bats showed up when it mattered most. 

In the other Division Series the Astros, Rangers and Phillies advanced as star players Nick Castellanos, Yordan Alvarez and Corey Seager led their respective teams to the Championship Series. 

In the Championship Series, there were two exciting series. In the American League, the Texas Rangers and the Houston Astros battled it out, as the Arizona Diamondbacks and Philladelphia Phillies played in the National League. 

In the American League, the Texas Rangers won the series in a full seven games, after taking a commanding 2-0 lead in the series. 

The Astros then won the next three games pushing the Rangers to the brink of elimination. 

In games six Rangers’ Adolis Garcia hit one homerun, followed by two in the decisive game seven to lead the Rangers to their first World Series appearance since 2011. 

In the National League, the Arizona Diamondbacks won the pennant in seven games, as they overcame a 2-0 deficit along with a 3-2 deficit in the series. Corbin Carroll starred for the Diamondbacks in game seven, as he recorded three hits in four  at bats, leading Arizona to a 4-2 victory. 

On Oct. 27, the World Series will begin in which should be an exciting series for all fans. 

About the Contributor
Musa Deen, Reporter