The Point

The Point

The Point

Checking Out PVHS’s 2024 Chess Tournament

(Photo by Natalie Dardon)

The annual chess tournament at PVHS is an important aspect of campus life as it brings recognition to the students and staff. The tournament gives PVHS students a chance to challenge themselves and display their skills in the comfort of the school library. 

“I love hosting the chess tournament,” librarian Ashley Brockman said. 

“The best part is that it gets a lot of people who are excited to play the game, playing together, meeting different players. It’s the sixth year we’ve done the chess tournament and the idea came from the library’s goal to serve students in lots of different ways and to be a part of student life and bring students together. So, when chess became popular in the library I thought it would be really great if we could connect all these players together who don’t necessarily know each other and form a great event.”

The chess tournament is an exciting way for students to demonstrate their skills and preparation. Chess tournaments also provide an opportunity for students to socialize, make friends and talk to each other about chess in between matches at PVHS.

This year, the championship match ended with a draw between two skilled players who have both been playing the game for years. 

“My grandfather got me into chess when I was four,” junior Donovan Capozolla said. “I remember throwing the chess board across the room every single time I lost. The first time I beat him it was the best game ever. You have to play a lot, because if you don’t play a lot you’ll continue to lose and never succeed.”

“Back in 2022 my dad started playing [chess] and I had to start with him, and I got sucked into the game and have been playing ever since,” freshman Owen Kozinski said. 

Chess, from a first glance, is intimidating and challenging, but anyone can compete in chess regardless of when they started. However, it can provide entertainment as it allows players to test their own skills and potential and engage in an interactive experience.

“One of its biggest strengths is it has a good way of connecting people,” Kozinski said. “No matter where you’re from you can easily get into chess and get good at it. It’s equal to everybody; there’s no inherent advantage or disadvantage.”

About the Contributor
Natalie Dardon, Reporter