The Point

The Point

The Point

A Deep Dive into PV’s Surf Culture

(Photo by Sierra Hickey)

In recent months there has been a surge of big, surfable waves in Palos Verdes. This is due to El Niño, our current climate pattern. Members of the community have been seen gathering along the cliffs near the PVHS campus to watch surfers while also recognizing the complexity and dedication of the sport. 

Although recent events have brought more light to the surfers in Palos Verdes, the surf culture has existed here for many years.

The surf culture in PV is prominent and it is integrated into the school community through the many students who participate in surfing and surf team. 

“The surf community is very prevalent on campus because we have a large number of students who surf and we are also very close to the ocean and have good surf in the local area,” PVHS Surf Coach Christopher Pekich said. 

“The surf culture is also woven into the school through elective classes such as surfboard shaping.”

Many young students who participate in surfing at school also partake in other ocean sports. 

“Since we are so close to the ocean, all of the water sports are connected,” freshman Colin Hickey said.

“Lots of people that I know don’t just surf but also participate in paddling, swimming, spearfishing and other water sports.” 

Living right along the ocean leads to many kids getting into these sports from a very young age. 

“I have been surfing since I was around nine years old, but I really got serious about the sport in the past three years,” Hickey said. 

“I like the discipline it takes and how you have to practice everyday to improve. I also like how you can be outdoors while doing your sport.”

Overall, many surfers in our community can agree that the surf culture in PV is like no other. 

“I like that the surf community in Palos Verdes is small and that everyone knows each other,” southbay lifguard Rob Keis said. 

“I also like the mutual respect that the community has for the sanctity of our waves.”I think that surfers in PV have a different level of respect for surfing etiquette and for the ocean in general than surfers in other areas.”

About the Contributor
Sierra Hickey, Social Media/Reporter