The Point

The Point

The Point

Unwrappping the Secrets Behind Spotify Wrapped

(Graphic by Eva Yancheson)

As the year winds down, Spotify users around the world eagerly anticipate the arrival of their annual music recap, known as Spotify Wrapped. 

For those who might not be familiar, Spotify Wrapped is a year-in-review feature that informs users of their streaming habits, revealing their most played artists, top songs, favorite genres, and more. 

“I remember when Spotify Wrapped came out in middle school, my group chats exploded,” junior Caroline Chu said. 

“My friend sent me a screenshot that said she was in the top five percent of Drake listeners, and she was all like, ‘I can’t believe this!’ Then, the whole internet was buzzing with everyone showing off their streaming game and music stats. Some people teased their friends’ ‘questionable’ tastes, and others flexed their artistic vibes. I even ended up posting my top songs on my story.”

Spotify Wrapped’s first rendition, “Year in Music,” was released in 2015 and provided statistics such as listeners’ most played songs and total number of hours of music listened to. 

“Year in Music’’ was popular, but it didn’t go viral until it was upgraded a few years later to the customizable, trendy graphic release it is now.

However, the evolution of Spotify Wrapped is not limited to only technological advancements. 

With the increased popularity, sharing, and discussion of this yearly recap, many users have become more conscious of the music they listen to. 

As a result, some are changing the way they listen to music.

“It seems that as the years have passed, people have developed a desire to create a Spotify Wrapped that will impress their followers and friends on social media,” said junior Kate Fukushima.

“If someone likes a song but it is considered embarrassing, they will try not to listen to it as much.”

A recent poll of PVHS students confirms this theory, revealing that over 50% of them know someone who has tried to control their Spotify Wrapped results or have done it themselves. 

Additionally, 66% of people believe that people do this for social validation, while 20% of people think it is for personal satisfaction. 

These statistics shine a light on the extent to which users are engaged with and invested in their online identities and social status.

As we enter an era in which our online and offline lives are becoming more and more linked, Spotify Wrapped serves as a microcosm of broader trends in social media behavior. 

The desire to cultivate a positive online persona, even down to the music we listen to, reflects the growing importance placed on digital identity. 

It remains to be seen whether this trend will continue to influence how we consume music, but for the time being, Spotify Wrapped is a good example of how social media, technology, and individual expression are all evolving in the digital age.

About the Contributor
Hailey Kim, Social Media/Reporter