Students Participate in Mock Election

Rachel Paik, Centerspread Editor

On November 6, 2018, millions of Americans cast their ballots for the Midterm Election.

PV High students got to cast their votes in a mock election as well.

This year, the PTSA teamed up with  Tecia Barton, American Government teacher, to create a mock election.

They have worked collectively with the rest of the social studies department to conduct mock elections since 2004.

This year, the ballot consisted of five different leadership positions.

These positions included: California governor, U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, state senate, and state assembly.

The ballot also included three propositions for students to vote on: 6, 7, and 10.

“I think mock elections are really important when it comes to government in particular. It adds a hand on interactive activity that is more realistic than not,” Barton said.

Students in every grade were given the option to vote in their history and political science classes.

Prior to the election, Barton predicted that the results would mimic those of students’ parents.

“But because all classes in the social studies classes are participating, we will have a skewed election. I predict that the elections will mirror the political party alignment of their parents because the majority of young people, until they leave home, will adopt the same positions to their parents,” Barton said.

“So they’re not voting based on the issue as it pertains to them personally, but they’re voting as if they are projecting their parents’ voice.”

The results of the mock election were very close, but Democratic politicians pulled through in the school’s own election and even took many seats in the real election as well.

For the students that voted, they felt that this mock election adequately prepared them for the real world.

Senior Ethan Emery takes Barton’s AP Government class.

He and his peers were exposed to the propositions, did basic research on candidates, and participated in classroom discussions.

The mock election mimicked real elections as students carried out the steps that real voters take before an election, and also learned about the importance of voting.

“I think it’s very important, especially when students do their research and form their own opinions because especially as we approach legal voting age, as citizens of this country, we need to be involved in policy making if democracy is to survive,” Emery said.

Students Participate in Mock Election